Feature Story – Hungry & Waiting:
The Food Stamp Backlog
Everyday thousands of Texas families go to bed hungry and wonder where their next meal will come from. In the midst of a troubled economy, Texas’s food stamp program has been named the worst in the entire country as more than 40,000 Texans wait more than thirty days to hear if they will get the assistance they need to survive. So Texas RioGrande Legal Aid (TRLA) did what we know how to do – we sued to get the state to meet federal guidelines that mandate thirty day deadlines. After all, waiting more than one month to know if you’ll get the help you need to feed your family is not acceptable.
To read this entire story, click here.
Also in this edition of the TRLA Times…
- TRLA Releases Study on Austin Taxi Industry
- Street Youth Project Helps San Antonio Teens
- TRLA Welcomes New Pro Bono Coordinator
- ‘Hire Yourself’ Aims to Help Development of Small Businesses
- SMLS Attorney Named Public Service Attorney of the Year
- Arkansas Farm Owner Settles Guestworker Lawsuit
- TRLA Success Story: Helping Her Grandkids